Equally at home on the club dance floor or on a laid-back playlist, Leo Islo’s unique brand of sound blurs the line between Future House, Indietronica, Pop and Chillwave. There’s always a sense of longing just under the glittering surface of his nostalgia-soaked productions, and Islo’s warm, airy croon often touches on themes of love, limerence, heartbreak, and ephemeral mortality.
Born in Santiago, Chile, Islo is the byproduct of two nomadic Americans- an Air Force Major and an Interior Designer. Some of his earliest memories are those of traveling the world, and that sense of wanderlust is innate in his approach to music which is often heavily textured with foley of his environments.
It was during a formative move from Los Angeles to Portland that Islo found himself drawn to the world of electronic music for the first time. Artists like Jai Paul, Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs, Toro Y Moi, Caribou, Washed Out, and Grimes became early influences on his approach to production, fueling his propensity to create tracks with a diverse cast of instruments.
- Marvel’s Cloak & Dagger debut (TV)
- MTV’s Are You The One (TV)
- VH1’s Black Ink Chicago (TV)
- Truworth’s Winter campaign (TV)
- Killjoys (SCIFI) x2 episodes (TV)
- Truworth’s ICONS
- Monster Energy
- Denizn Denim (Fall Men’s)
- Paige Denim
- Suja Juice
- La Mer Blue Heart
- Body Glove
- Vogue Met Gala Instagram Booth/ Pharrell
- Nobody Famous (Film)
- “LLT” goes over 1M plays- featured on Apple Music “Today’s Chill” playlist.
- “Retrograde Now” reaches #1 on Hype Machine (Nov. 2018)
- Vortex Music Magazine’s “Vortex on Vinyl” (best new PDX music) annual compilation/ show/ vinyl selection (April, 2018).
- “Lush Life” featured in the pilot episode of Marvel’s new series “Cloak & Dagger.” (June 7, 2018 premiere on ABC & Freeform TV)
- “Lush Life” featured in the 2017 Vogue Met Gala show as the backing music for Pharell’s photo booth.
- In 2016 Leo Islo collaborated with Finland based producer Tontario to release Coexist, which gained viral popularity reaching over 1.5 million plays with support from a wide array of music blogs.
- Multiple Hype Machine top 10 tracks, including Lush Life (#7), Coexist (#6), and Higher Living (#10).
- Notable Spotify features including the USA Viral 50 (Oh Dystopia at #13) and the New Music Friday playlist (Blame).
- Widespread blog support, including Earmilk, International House of Sound, Acid Stag, Beautiful Buzz, Caveman Sound, The Vibe Guide, Mr. Suicide Sheep, Indie Current, Noon Pacific, HillyDilly, and many more.
- Islo’s impassioned performances has led to him sharing stages with the likes of Snakehips, Chrome Sparks, Robert DeLong, Crooked Colours, Chad Valley, Evan Giia, Opia, Shoffy, Teen Daze, Computer Magic, Roland Tings, and more.
- PDX Pop Now! Festival Compilation (2016 & 2017) and Festival Performance (2017).